Your Rivian may cost you more in US than you were expecting ... maybe

EyeOnRivian

... that is, if the Koch brothers and their cronies get their way according to this Sierra Club article
"Who Wants to Kill the Electric Car This Time?"

One of the many groups the Koch brothers help fund to fight the EV tax credit have a slogan for EVs - "Built by billionaires, bought by millionaires . . . and subsidized by the rest of us." ... Hmm, they seem to be missing another slogan - "Kill the EV, increase ICE vehicle sales, so the super rich can get even richer."

Manolo

We are getting closer to the reality of these great vehicles being built and I have a few questions that maybe someone at Rivian can answer:

1- When will we be able to test drive a RT1 and will there be a site in FL?
2- What will be standard on the vehicle as options could price some of us right out of this beauty? I am looking for the middle model as I don’t need the 400 mile range and like the faster 0-60 time. If a truck is priced at $60K but with options pits you closer to $90K, some may opt to wait for the Tesla truck or other variants. I expect it to be more than a loaded F- 150 but the question is how much?
2.5- Since I brought Ford up and they are now an investor, is there a possibility that Ford comes up with their own electric variant that will compete with the Rivian at a much lower price and will Ford become both the service/ delivery for Rivian?
3- Production is slated for late 2020 but what is real and when would they be delivered?
4- Charging stations- will they be part of the Tesla network or build onto that platform as I am hearing that many Tesla stations are overwhelmed today as the 3’s compete with existing S and X’s For charging time. Of course you could just go home and charge...
Thank you.

EyeOnRivian

It's my impression no one from Rivian monitors the various Rivian forums available. If they are, they're doing it in stealth mode (a familiar mode for them :) ) as I've yet to read any post from a member from any forum representing themselves as officially from Rivian. So not likely you'll get any official answer from Rivian in a forum. When they have been asked about upcoming Rivian events and other happenings Rivian has said they would do it via email and their social media outlets. From what I've heard/read from others who have submitted emails to Rivian, that Rivian does not respond in a timely manner if at all. So we are all doing the same waiting game to get additional information and answers to questions.

None the less I'll pass along what I've heard.
1. Rivian announced a couple of months ago they were working on a Test Drive Tour program. There has been unfortunately no additional news on this other than someone just asked Rivian about test drives on Twitter. Rivian's response was "We're not offering test drives yet, but we look forward to getting people behind the wheel closer to production!"

2. Other than the base price of the R1T ($69k) and R1S ($72.5k) and I believe RJ has said the 180 kWh battery pack will be around $90k, there has been no information released on what features will be standard vs. optional, let alone any pricing of options. FWIW, Rivian has indicated their pull-out kitchen will be available to order when the vehicles launch into productions.

2.5 Question seems more appropriate for Ford to answer. Ford has announced they will come out with a "mustang-like" SUV. I did hear some rumblings about an EV truck but it would not compete with Rivian. IMHO it would make no sense to after investing $500m in Rivian.

3. Clearly they are not ready to announce this information yet or they would have. You may recall RJ has stated to "under promise and over deliver." As much as we would all like to hear a more specific delivery/production date, announcing one this far out would be asking for trouble, just ask Elon.

4. A lot of people are wondering the same thing but Rivian hasn't said anything other than they will put in charging stations in the off-beaten areas, e.g. national parks. Personally, I doubt they will work anything out with Tesla to use their charging network, but we'll see.