Who has reserved and why?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s all check in here and give our $0.02 why we plunked down $1K to reserve one of these vehicles. For me it was 7 good sized seats, non compromised storage capacity, and big battery. The only negative is lack of Tesla Supercharger network, but actually that may not be a negative anymore. I’ll post a image comparing the CCS network vs Supercharger, and it looks fine...

zach90z

Reserved it yesterday 12/11/2018!

Why?
Well for one I need a larger vehicle for my growing family. I also don't want to throw money away on old technology, gas, oil and all the maintenance that comes with an ICE vehicle. I like the Tesla Model X but just want a car with regular doors. I guess also finding out that the Executive Director of Engineering and Programs previously worked at McLaren also helped.

I hope that Rivian will bring them to the Detroit Auto Show so I can see it in person!

theredviper

Did not reserve since I'm only 6 months into my first Tesla (Model 3). All else being equal (and that's a massive statement), I'd take the R1S over the Model X right now.

Aaron

I also have an X, my second and I love it (100D)
However its still not as roomy as my last fuel driven vehicle (GMC Denali XL).

If this SUV is as good as my X with the larger more roomier cabin, its a keeper.

My lease should be up in time for the SUV delivery in 2020.

Don't like the headlights though and I hope there are other colours then the green.
Major challenges: charging and dealer support.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the headlights are functional, I don't really mind what they look like. I'll rarely see them anyways.

Dealer support may very well be an issue. Currently, they are planning on partnering with existing car dealers for repairs. Not sure how's that going to work. I can see it now, take your SUV in for a repair and have the dealer bad mouth the vehicle trying to talk you into buying a new Yukon or whatever.

nick.godley

Currently driving a BMW i3s, great for daily hops and short travel. The R1S will allow for all weather, long distance travel. Love the technology, all road capabilities and great styling too. Clearly they have thought through a lot of what is needed in a capable EV Truck/SUV.

RC1

I want greater range than I can get with my model S and like the styling of this over the X. Interested to see if Tesla responds in next 24 months with a 180 Kw battery. Would push model S over 500 mile range in good weather.

nick.godley

The only negative is lack of Tesla Supercharger network, but actually that may not be a negative anymore. I’ll post a image comparing the CCS network vs Supercharger, and it looks fine...
I agree with you that it is currently a negative, but I think CCS chargers will be more ubiquitous by 2021. All non Tesla/Leaf EVs use CCS, in the long run they will outnumber Superchargers. Tesla has made their M3's CCS compatible in Europe (as far as I understand).

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I want greater range than I can get with my model S and like the styling of this over the X. Interested to see if Tesla responds in next 24 months with a 180 Kw battery. Would push model S over 500 mile range in good weather.
I agree about the greater range. I took my 90 kWh Model X to the mountains to ski a few days ago and it was touch and go. Huge winds, big climb up the mountain and cold weather all took a toll and I was wondering how long a flatbed tow would take. I made it, but just barely. SUVs need big batteries.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you that it is currently a negative, but I think CCS chargers will be more ubiquitous by 2021. All non Tesla/Leaf EVs use CCS, in the long run they will outnumber Superchargers. Tesla has made their M3's CCS compatible in Europe (as far as I understand).
That's what I originally thought too, but ... if you look at the volume of EVs, you find that Tesla is far out delivering all other EVs combined with their Model 3. CCS ports will only outnumber Supercharger ports IF the rest of the industry sells a lot of EVs. Right now, it is a Tesla world, and I don't see that changing soon.

Cougs

I have been a supporter of the use of alternative energy sources other than coal, oil, etc....and RIVIAN as a company got it right. We need to catch up with other nations like Sweeden, Norway......The US has such a tremendous number of good, smart, and creative people like RJ and his staff that cares about the environment and want to make that first step towards the use of clean energy that has been ignored by the big three. I pre-ordered because I care like you guys in this blog and I am glad that RIVIAN and TESLA are offering us an alternative that the big three did not. I hope that soon electric, hydrogen, etc...vehicles will dominate the us market. I want to enjoy my outdoor experience without damaging it. Thank you RIVIAN. I also like to see TESLA and RIVIAN work as a team in order to succeed as companies. there is room for everyone. I pre ordered the R1T and I hope that RIVIAN is smart and allow their vehicles to be improved and updated as it is tested in the real world and listen to you and me the consumers. I cannot wait to drive one and see you guys doing the same thing.

Last edited:

RC1

I will be interested to see if Rivian comes out with a per year complementary amount of charging time on CCS network an option to pre-purchase charging time similar to Tesla. I am still under the lifetime free supercharging with my Model S which is a nice added bonus when traveling.

Cougs

Love to see that good gesture from RJ Like Elon Musk did with Tesla providing some form of charging options with the finalized purchase even for a small fee since we will be the real life testing ground. They can use our data in order to manage the batteries, etc....in order to make improvements in exchange for a nominal fee for charging for the life of the truck or SUV.

Tardigrade

I did! I love the Rivian because it's a REAL SUV, not just one of those grocery-getter high-up glorified station wagons that pass for SUVs now. I love the Model X, don't get me wrong, but I lump it in there too. The R1S is supposed to be able to ford a 3 foot stream! It has a sealed undercarriage! The wheels will move independently! The inside will be hose down-able for my messy kids! (ha!). It's a fabulous idea, I just hope they make it in good colors. I'm hoping for a real, bright blue. No blues so dark you may as well have gotten black and not paid extra.