What Q's do you have about the R1T?

Randy

If you could get answers to practical questions about the R1T from Rivian, what would you ask?

For me, this is more practical and has nothing to do with 0-60 times or 125mph top speed. So here's a couple to start things off:
  1. What are the interior dimensions (front/rear head, leg, shoulder, hip room)?
  2. Is there a solution for High Volume/Low Pressure inflation
    • The current solution appears to have Low Volume/High Pressure (for inflating tires and such)
    • My adventure needs the opposite, which often requires slightly different inflation equipment (Kitesurfing kites, inflatable SUPs, etc
  3. Since I doubt I'll off road (much), is there an all season (read this as "a quieter") tire available?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I asked a Rivian product manager about the inflation in a more technical way (I asked for CFM and PSI specs), but was told no other specs are available. You are spot on though in that while tire inflation is nice, you ALSO need watercraft, air mattress, etc. inflation.

Now you could bring an outboard inflator and plug it into the inverter plugs, but here again, Rivian is only giving us 400 Watts. Three plugs of 400 Watts each, but still only a max. draw of 400 Watts. Why they don't just give us a shared 1,200 Watts is beyond me - that would be more useful and would allow for bigger inflators. Heck, there are power tool chargers that exceed 400W, but would work fine with 1,200W (DeWalt Flexvolt).

A typical ICE truck can handle about a 600W - 800W draw from an inverter hooked up to the battery while the engine is running. So the Rivian is either underpowered or overpowered depending on what you need to do in comparison.

It is kinda maddening that you have this huge traction battery, but no way to get access to its power. Let say you wanted to run a little outdoor theater for the community one night. So you need to power a projector, a sound system, maybe some lights and misc. power. This could be 2,000 watts. To do this, you would typically have a little Honda generator chugging away behind some cars to deaden its noise.

But gosh, the energy draw from a Rivian would be so minor - 2,000 watts for three hours, that's 6 kWh of power out of a 105 (minimum) kWh battery. And no generator! But there is no way to extract that much power, 2 kW, from the Rivian since the 12V bus certainly couldn't handle it.

If only there was some way to extract power from the CCS port which has direct access to the big battery. Either that, or an extra cost option to replace the 3x400W inverter with a 2,500W inverter. That would be a killer option!

CraigS

I told RJ Scaringe at the LA show that I'd like 1500w, he definitely understood and listened. I don't think this is finalized. It also sounded like they may give buyers quite a few options for modifying the Rivian when the deposit is upgraded to an order in late 2019.

Randy

@CraigS Can you enumerate "quite a few options" for us? What was mentioned?

After I wrote my questions for this post I saw a video from the show in which a Rivian employee answered the question about the tires. He said something like "this is the off-road tire, customers will also be offered a [highway] tire too".

So that answers one question.

Who else has questions they would like answered about the R1T?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I told RJ Scaringe at the LA show that I'd like 1500w, he definitely understood and listened. I don't think this is finalized. It also sounded like they may give buyers quite a few options for modifying the Rivian when the deposit is upgraded to an order in late 2019.
I’m glad he was listening. Being able to beat ICE trucks by delivering 1,500 or 2,500 watts of power is a big deal. That would make current truck owners sit up and notice.

In a similar vein, what if the on board compressor could power air tools like nail guns and staple guns? Even an air wrench?

CraigS

As far as air tools, RJ Scaringe said it could now power air tools when we talked with him at the LA Show. As far as options, I don't have a list.

Randy

Just had a lengthy "sit-in" with my son in his Model 3. You see, unlike most of you I am not a Tesla owner. I keep discovering little things that I hope Rivian is smarter about. So I'm adding to my wish list base upon what I just talked about with my son:

1. Speak-to-text integrated natively into the vehicle
    • Most inexpensive vehicles have this feature at this point (but not the M3)
  2. Navigation that allows "Avoid Highways"
    • Every nav system I know of has this...except Tesla
  3. Upload route to vehicle
    • It seems on the Tesla's, Tesla's server picks the route regardless of your desired route or wishes
  4. I would like to use my Apple Music subscription natively in the vehicle
    • I suppose that would require Apple Car Play
To be clear, I am not bashing Tesla. I love my son's M3 and think its a great platform. But it is a great platform to discover what can be done better too.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
While this thread started as a Ask Rivian Questions, it has sort of turned into a wish list. I feel like I’m playing jeopardy. “Please make your answer in the form of a question” :)

So, here goes:

Will Rivian have single pedal driving? I believe I read somewhere that it will and it will allow single pedal stopping as well, which is what almost every EV other than Tesla has now.

Will you have an app that will allow you to turn on AC and heating? Check on charging?

Will you have Pet mode, where the AC stays on even after you’ve exited the vehicle?

Will you have cabin overheat protection to keep the cabin below 100F at all times?

Will adaptive cruise control be a standard feature, or are you going to be like Tesla and charge a ton of money for this increasingly standard feature?

Are you going to have over the air updates for the navigation system? Please develop a mapping system that has standard features and less bugs than Tesla’s.

And yes, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto would be much appreciated.

Randy

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Good finds - you can find the answers to some questions if you use Twitter, get to the Rivian account and click under Tweets and Replies.

Other recent tweet is that Rivian isn't going to NAIAS. Sounds like we'll get some more info about various questions in January.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Continuing on for my Rivian wish list items that are phrased as questions:

Will Rivian have hard buttons for often used tasks like lights, garage door openers, HVAC controls, etc. or are you going to put everything on a touch screen so that it takes several button presses to do anything, have drop downs that disappear just as you are about to press them, and software UI that changes just as soon as you've gotten used to the old one and that actually makes things more complicated?

Randy

There should be no touches to open the garage door! Reactive programming all the way! (it appears the touch-screen will win, but it doesn't have to be bad.)

Will Rivian use the on-board sensors like cameras and GPS to open your garage door if you choose, or alternately automatically provide the UI in anticipation of the need.

Will Rivian drop the stick for cruise and move the following-distance control to the front of the steering wheel (or spinners on the wheel) where it belongs? (I currently adjust mine all the time depending upon traffic conditions). Reaching for the stick behind the wheel would be awkward.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, since garage doors don’t have separate “open” and “close” commands, you can often drive up to your garage door and find that you closing it instead of opening it. But if the cameras used AI to figure out of the door was open or closed, then that might work. It’s tricky. You might drive out of the garage really slowly one day and find that the door is closing on you early. All sorts of edge cases that are hard to handle.

Randy

Naw...you're a software guy, you know this can be done with the correct sensor config. Proximity on all sides - don't let it close. Image comparison is easy these days - camera view shows an exit view - block. And on and on.