Wattzilla charger

azjohn

While watching a Rich Rebuilds Youtube video He came across the level 2 charger made by Wattzilla. Their line of chargers are pretty impressive though expensive. On their website they have pictures of some of the chargers " out in the elements" might be a option for Rivian for their line of chargers to be installed in state parks

BoltEV

We have a Wattzilla Dual @ 80amp ac.... Nothing charges at that rate yet but I hope the Rivian will update their onboard charger....

Jimcgov3

@BoltEV, check Rivian's FAQ. They state that they will have an 11kW onboard charger. At the event in ATL on Friday, others asked that question and every answer was 11kW. Maybe in their next vehicles, but definitely not in the R1T and R1S. I also own a Wattzilla Wall Wattz 48 and love it. It is overkill for my Chevy SparkEV, but will be perfect for my R1T.

BoltEV

The WattZilla is overkill. I think Juice Box is the only other AC charger that can charge at 75 amps, I think that's about 18kw.

BoltEV

I don't think the charge station has to be bullet proof. I purchased the WattZilla because it is a local company, The housings are made in Hudson NH. I did get to meet the owner. Frank is a very talented guy. He tried to talk me out of buying a Bolt. Wanted me to get a used Tesla. But a preowned one with 40,000 miles was still $5,000 more than the new Bolt.

EyeOnRivian

Still trying to decide if I should go for a larger EVSE to future proof my investment, right size it for the Rivian 11kw on board charger, or go with a smaller EVSE since I really don't need that much charging power as my daily mileage has been significantly been reduced.

Another factor in the EVSE soup of variables is portable (plug-in) or hard-wired. I've read a portable EVSE can come in handy to have with you when traveling. Plus, when you move it's easy to take your investment with you to your new home. I've read some comments some where that Rivian "may" provide a portable EVSE with purchase but I haven't read or heard anything official from Rivian. That would be great if they did.

Another tidbit I picked up is that if the EVSE (or any device?) requires 60 or more amps it must be hardwired.

To get the most out of the 11 kw on-board charger, you would need an EVSE around 48 amps (on a 60 amp circuit) -- 11,520 kw = 48a x 240v.
Considering eMotorWorks JuiceBox EVSEs:
JuiceBox Pro 40 (10 kw at 40 amps) for $579 - portable/plug-in
JuiceBox Pro 75 (18 kw at 75 amps) for $899 - must be hardwired

Wattzilla has the Wall Wattz product which comes in three flavors (all hardwired): 40a for $749, 48a for $849, 75 amp for $1049

Wall Wattz flavors are considerably more expensive (compared to JuiceBox) and each require to be hardwired. Still mulling this over for the time being ...

Last edited:

BoltEV

My WattZilla 80 amp at work will be fine for the Rivian. At home we have an old JuiceBox 40 amp. That is ok for the vehicles we have currently. There will most likely a second charger added for the Rivian.
I have been searching high and low for a DC charger for at work. We have three phase power there. No one seems to make one for personal use. ChargePoint and EVGo make them but they start at $12,000.

azjohn

Still trying to decide if I should go for a larger EVSE to future proof my investment, right size it for the Rivian 11kw on board charger, or go with a smaller EVSE since I really don't need that much charging power as my daily mileage has been significantly been reduced.

Another factor in the EVSE soup of variables is portable (plug-in) or hard-wired. I've read a portable EVSE can come in handy to have with you when traveling. Plus, when you move it's easy to take your investment with you to your new home. I've read some comments some where that Rivian "may" provide a portable EVSE with purchase but I haven't read or heard anything official from Rivian. That would be great if they did.

Another tidbit I picked up is that if the EVSE (or any device?) requires 60 or more amps it must be hardwired.

To get the most out of the 11 kw on-board charger, you would need an EVSE around 48 amps (on a 60 amp circuit) -- 11,520 kw = 48a x 240v.
Considering eMotorWorks JuiceBox EVSEs:
JuiceBox Pro 40 (10 kw at 40 amps) for $579 - portable/plug-in
JuiceBox Pro 75 (18 kw at 75 amps) for $899 - must be hardwired

Wattzilla has the Waltzilla product which comes in three flavors (all hardwired): 40a for $749, 48a for $849, 75 amp for $1049

Waltzilla flavors considerably more expensive (compared to JuiceBox) and each require to be hardwired. Still mulling this over for the time being ...
Wattzilla does make a portable EVSE called The Black Mamba available in 40 and 48 watt models. The 48 watt model would plug into a Nema 14-60

EyeOnRivian

Wattzilla has the Waltzilla product which comes in three flavors (all hardwired): 40a for $749, 48a for $849, 75 amp for $1049
Correction. Meant the Wall Wattz products, not Waltzilla. I corrected my post above. There's just one flavor of the Waltzilla and it's 80 amp for $1795 and clearly hardwired. Interesting, that extra 5 amps (compared to the Wall Wattz 75 amp) will cost an extra $750! ... and it's an interior only unit and the cable mgmt is extra.

Wattzilla does make a portable EVSE called The Black Mamba available in 40 and 48 watt models. The 48 watt model would plug into a Nema 14-60
Thanks. I had hastily dismissed that one as it look to be a bare bones charging cable for nearly a $1000 (40 amp)!

I've read some comments some where that Rivian "may" provide a portable EVSE with purchase but I haven't read or heard anything official from Rivian.
FWIW, I recently read, though I don't recall where, that someone asked at the Atlanta event about charging cables and adapters and were told by a Rivian rep they will be providing a portable EVSE with adapter(s) with each EAV similar to what Tesla does. Unfortunately no other specifics were given but at least Rivian will be providing something. IMO, it makes sense to wait and find out what specifically they will provide before doing any more research let alone buy anything ahead of time.