Rivian hiring lobbyists...

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
...for the electric vehicle tax credit? I guess they are worried about it going away. From this article:

Tesla has added to its lobbying roster in D.C., signing Steptoe and Johnson LLP to work on international trade policy. Also, EV maker Rivian hired Munk Policy and Law to lobby on the electric vehicle tax credit.

Eriamjh1138

I would like to see Rivian basically strike down the dealer laws that prevent direct sales. If done at the federal level, then it would easily allow 50-state sales without 50 laws being changed.

Requiring dealers seems terribly anti-consumer. Forcing someone to go from one state to another because of local laws seems like suppression of commerce. That’s crazy in today’s world.

Randy

I like the direct-sales model concept. But I also like decentralized decisions made by politicians who have skin in the game.

The only industries in which direct sales work are those that sell third party's products that third party's warrantees cover and/or that insulate themselves from the blow-back of dissatisfied consumers. Tesla and the recent lack of service availability complaints are a direct indication that direct sales are fraught with risks. This is completely intuitive and why so many people are "wondering a loud" about how Rivian will provide service, repairs and support from a UX "how-to" experience. Tesla has (reportedly) been completely overwhelmed with questions that seem very simple to most, but seem daunting and overwhelming to the average non-nerd (how do I open the glovebox). Their own employees complain about the "silly questions" taking away from "true" support needs. I argue all the needs are true regardless of how silly. But when you sell and support directly, you are forced to convince yourself that customer service has "true" needs and something less. So in this regard, the question should be "what risk mitigation strategy does Rivian have in place when they become overrun with support/service/repair requests." Californians may argue that Tesla is failing miserably at this very moment in that regard. But Ford customs aren't.

The closest Telsa service center to me is 6 hours away. When Rivian launches in the first five locations the closes service center will be...where?

That is not a question when purchasing an automobile from a branded reseller (Dealer).

As for the "federal level" thing: Unfortunately, it does seem the U.S. is headed away from being a Democratic Republic with 50 independent but cooperating entities toward a centralized politburo. Then all matters of the state(s) can be solved whimsically without concern for the localized inhabitants.

Maybe the lobbyists are going to Washington to lobby for charging stations in remote areas of national parks.

Rob Stark

Rumor is Rivian wants to do direct sales and contract out service/repair.

They could contract with a dealership network like Cadillac,multiple dealership networks, or pick up dealers one by one. This would be all profit for dealers. No need to invest in stand alone Rivian facilities or inventory. Maybe just some tools for electric powertrains, some tech training and a small sign that says "We Service Rivian Vehicles". No need to convince salespeople or sales managers to sell EVs.

Or they can contract with Pep Boys and/or Firestone Stores, Goodyear Stores etc.

Or even Costco and/or Sam's Club.

Elon is fanatical about vertical integration and controlling the entire customer experience.

It is not a prerequisite for Selling Direct.

Electric Trucking

Would third party interest in your Rivian be something you would want? I want the manufacturer to have full control of what is being done after sales.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Would third party interest in your Rivian be something you would want? I want the manufacturer to have full control of what is being done after sales.
But that’s how almost all cars are serviced now. Car dealers are independent franchises. Having a RIvian SUV serviced at a factory authorized and trained dealer is no different than getting your Chevy serviced. It gets even more disconnected when you talk body shops.