Registration Fees for Electric Vehicles...

gombater

Was watching the local news tonight - Illinois is proposing raising registration fees on EV's from the current $35 every 2 years to $1,000 every year... that's quite a difference will definitely change the economics of the purchase. Apparently already passed the Illinois house.

What do others see relative to 'other' costs of electric vehicle ownership, like this one? What else to watch out for? How does this tax compare to other states?

Curious to know how the Tesla owners on this site manage... Thoughts?

PoorPilot

I’m in western TN and will elaborate on what my experience is owning a Model X. I renewed my annual registration a few months ago and I can’t remember specifics, but I remember an “EV” tax, but it wasn’t much - maybe $100. $1000 per year seems absolutely ridiculous, but that’s just me.

I pay $.09/kWh in TN so I spend about $5.00 a week charging my Model X at home. That’s roughly $20/month and $240/year. I save, on average, about $250/month in fuel costs from my previous vehicle. My insurance costs went up a little, but I expected them to considering the next youngest vehicle I owned before I bought my X was 7 years old. I got grandfathered into free Supercharging while I own the vehicle (which we use quite often on road trips), but for daily or weekly charging it’s too easy just to plug in at home and take the minuscule financial hit.

Let me know what other questions you have.