New news thread

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately Rivian keeps delaying ship dates. Now it is possibly December 2020.
I always had in my mind end of next year, so that isn't a slip? Technically? Where did you hear December 2020?

Cougs

Brian Gase Chief Engineer stated that they will start building in october 2020 and start shipping in december 2020.

Link:

he also revealed that there will be 3 interior color options. The R1T will be greenish as currently shown or black interior and options in materials. The interior material shown is the premier option. The tailgate as shown is also an option not standard. They will start custom orders by the end of this year. I believe that after watching this video by TFL Rivian has not firmly finished a lot of small details in both vehicles R1T and R1S.

Last edited:

Cougs

I am not conversant with electrochemical field and batteries but I am a research scientist who reads about new discoveries on everything. I was watching a lecture in Stanford by this MIT Electrochemist Don Sadoway. he wrote this:

High-amperage energy storage device with liquid metal negative electrode.

An electrochemical method and apparatus for high-amperage electrical energy storage features a high-temperature, all-liquid chemistry. The reaction products created during charging remain part of the electrodes during storage for discharge on demand. In a simultaneous ambipolar electrodeposition cell, a reaction compound is electrolyzed to effect transfer from an external power source; the electrode elements are electrodissolved during discharge.

His idea is to use cheap metal from the left side of the periodic table to store energy (tons of energy) as liquid that become readily available for use. They are developing this in order to store solar and wind energy for neighborhood grids. They claim that lithium ion is a dead end non reliable method for large energy storage because of cost and amount of energy storage capability. you basically need to have a lot of Lithium cells that become too big and expensive.
My question is why are we investing as a whole in a system that will not last for long as soon as EV becomes the way every nation in the world require it instead of fossil fuel (by 2030 some nations are banning fossil fuel use). Don Sadoway stated that this system can get hot but it is safe and never explode.

Any ideas??????Mr RJ (you are smart) are we heading to a dead end with lithium ions?????what is the future of a world wide EV that is available for large scale production, cheap not scarce and becomes expensive as soon as worldwide demand increase instead of become cheaper to produce, and safe???

azjohn

I am not conversant with electrochemical field and batteries but I am a research scientist who reads about new discoveries on everything. I was watching a lecture in Stanford by this MIT Electrochemist Don Sadoway. he wrote this:

High-amperage energy storage device with liquid metal negative electrode.

An electrochemical method and apparatus for high-amperage electrical energy storage features a high-temperature, all-liquid chemistry. The reaction products created during charging remain part of the electrodes during storage for discharge on demand. In a simultaneous ambipolar electrodeposition cell, a reaction compound is electrolyzed to effect transfer from an external power source; the electrode elements are electrodissolved during discharge.

His idea is to use cheap metal from the left side of the periodic table to store energy (tons of energy) as liquid that become readily available for use. They are developing this in order to store solar and wind energy for neighborhood grids. They claim that lithium ion is a dead end non reliable method for large energy storage because of cost and amount of energy storage capability. you basically need to have a lot of Lithium cells that become too big and expensive.
My question is why are we investing as a whole in a system that will not last for long as soon as EV becomes the way every nation in the world require it instead of fossil fuel (by 2030 some nations are banning fossil fuel use). Don Sadoway stated that this system can get hot but it is safe and never explode.

Any ideas??????Mr RJ (you are smart) are we heading to a dead end with lithium ions?????what is the future of a world wide EV that is available for large scale production, cheap not scarce and becomes expensive as soon as worldwide demand increase instead of become cheaper to produce, and safe???

Did they say if the storage device acts like a battery or a capacitor? They have talking about solid state batteries for a decade and still nothing

Cougs

I am sure that they do not act as a capacitors. They were talking about long term storage of energy that is readily available for use over a period of time mainly for homes etc...but they were also saying it is safe to use possibly for other purposes. The storage units are liquid packaged into a solid boxes. The authors discussed the need to find better ways to store energy using cheap, capable of storing large amount of energy, and safe to use. they said that Lithium ion batteries are too expensive and do not store enough energy.

Manolo

Brian Gase Chief Engineer stated that they will start building in october 2020 and start shipping in december 2020.

Link:

he also revealed that there will be 3 interior color options. The R1T will be greenish as currently shown or black interior and options in materials. The interior material shown is the premier option. The tailgate as shown is also an option not standard. They will start custom orders by the end of this year. I believe that after watching this video by TFL Rivian has not firmly finished a lot of small details in both vehicles R1T and R1S.
Curious what the option upgrades will cost along with what is standard. It sounds like a well equipped mid level truck will run high 70K’s or possibly hit over $80K before rebate. Would love to see the list.

Cougs

We will be able to see the list of options when we are allowed to configure what we want and place an actual order to be manufactured and shipped. Rivian has a policy of not confusing everyone by giving much information. I am curious on how are we going to order a truck without testing it, seeing it in person, where to go if we need to fix small things, etc.....Ford dealers???

Manolo

I agree as we will need to see the options, how they work and especially test drive the truck with the specific battery pack. Being that Ford is now involved, maybe at their dealership network. The other question that has to come up is when will Ford use this platform for their new F150 and will they be similar in price or much cheaper?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but I will bet you that the Rivian truck appeals to far more people (except for the price) than the futuristic cyberpunk blade runner thing that even Elon admitted "won't be for everybody". Elon has a tendency to sacrifice utility for areo and efficiency which all comes down to cost savings. So, yes, if you want a cheaper vehicle that isn't anywhere near as functional as the R1T, then the Tesla Truck will be for you.

Cougs

I agree with your statement above. I believe that the more EV vehicles whether a car or a truck is good for the world because it is less of the alternative. We need better battery technology than what is available now.