New interview: $89K for 180kWh?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
This new interview with the CEO just came out, with a few new nuggets of information including a promise that there will be a version of the truck with the largest battery at sub $90K.

RC1

Will be interesting to see what is “standard equipment” on all models and what are options. Seems like he was careful to say there would be “a version” of the 180kw model that is under $90k.

Having said that, any vehicle that can get around 400 miles/ charge is impressive at $90k.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I would read that $90k figure to mean an actually stripped down version. Like no 120v plugs, no air compressor, cloth seats, etc. We will have to wait and see.

Rob Stark

180 kWh loses third row and is slower in the R1S.

In the R1T you lose the gear tunnel and is slower.

135 kWh might be the smart ticket.

RC1

That would be a game changer for me. I want third row seat and maximum mileage. If they are advertising R1S as 7 passenger and 410 miles per charge, it is misleading.

Rob Stark

BTW I am having a hell of time posting and reading. I keep getting a pop up that says cookies are required. But no button to accept cookies. Have to log out and log back in. Keep clicking various screens to get in.

Rob Stark

"Acceleration from 0-60 mph—or again, to cage this, the projected acceleration of a future vehicle—is astonishing. Rivian claims just 3.0 seconds for the 135-kwh model or 3.2 seconds for the 180-kwh model; the 105-kwh will still be able to get to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds. 100 mph comes in less than 7 seconds for the 135-kwh version (less than 8 seconds for the 180-kwh), and top speed is 125 mph. "

Rob Stark

For the R1T 105 kWh and 135 kWh you get 95 Litres of underseat volume.

For the 180 kWh R1T it is N/A not available or not applicable.

RC1

Yes- looks like they must get the extra battery cells by stacking them in a configuration that uses up the extra space. That’s unfortunate.

PoorPilot

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first column is the R1T and the second column is the R1S. So, even with the 180kwh battery in the R1T, you still get the gear tunnel (350L). There is no gear tunnel in the R1S, thus the N/A.

RC1

If you look at the first column (RT1), the underwear volume is subdivided into 95L and N/A. The N/A is under the heading 180KWh. The chart was divided into two segments in posts so would have to look at the initial one to see where the headings are.

But it appears true that the 180KWh models are different than the other two in that the RT1 has NA for underseat storage and the RS1 is only available as 5 passenger.

PoorPilot

If you look at the first column (RT1), the underwear volume is subdivided into 95L and N/A. The N/A is under the heading 180KWh. The chart was divided into two segments in posts so would have to look at the initial one to see where the headings are.

But it appears true that the 180KWh models are different than the other two in that the RT1 has NA for underseat storage and the RS1 is only available as 5 passenger.
Yes, I see what you're saying, but Rob Stark stated earlier that the gear tunnel is lost in the 180kwh model, which, according to the spec sheet provided by Rivian, it is not the case. Only the underseat storage. In the R1S you lose the 3rd row of seats with the large battery option.

Rob Stark

]
Yes, I see what you're saying, but Rob Stark stated earlier that the gear tunnel is lost in the 180kwh model, which, according to the spec sheet provided by Rivian, it is not the case. Only the underseat storage. In the R1S you lose the 3rd row of seats with the large battery option.
There is 95 L of storage underneath the seats in addition to the Gear Tunnel?

I was under the impression that the Gear Tunnel was the 95L of under seat storage.

PoorPilot

In one of the videos, (I can't remember which) they stated there was going to be underseat storage on the R1T. They didn't specify battery packs, etc., but if you look at the spec sheet, there are two different rows for underseat storage and gear tunnel. They tells me that they are calculated separately.

Rob Stark

The area under the 2nd row seats in the pickup doesn't seem to equal the area gained by removing the 3rd row in the SUV.

If so why not put the extra 45 kWh in the R1S under the 2nd row and 3rd row seats? Unless they are taking space in the R1T's bed trunk where a spare tire could go.

azjohn

IMO losing .2 seconds 0-60 time between the 135 KW pack and the 180 is a non factor and if I had to give up the storage are behind the rear wheels I would. Always go with the largest pack you can. If for no other reason quick charging to 80% will give you 320 miles with the 180 pack and we all know what happens in the winter to your range

RC1

I am not concerned with the loss of speed but would like the 3rd row seating in the R1S in addition to 410 miles with the 180KWh pack.

GJM

I want the gear tunnel, I think it’s immensely practical. Don’t care about 3.0 or 3.2 0-60 difference.

If I can get an RT1 with a 180 and keep the gear tunnel than that’s what I’ll order, otherwise it’s a 135 for me.

irpete

I spoke with Brian Gase the Chief body engineer at the private viewing in NY and he said that the 180kw battery will intrude into the gear tunnel a couple of inches but you will still have a full gear tunnel that goes all the way through. It's just that the gear tunnel will be a couple of inches narrower.