Is the CCS charging network good enough?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Ford's investment in Rivian probably precludes partnering with Tesla. Which is probably one reason why Rivian didn't partner with Tesla in the first place - they wanted to keep their options open for other partnerships to raise money since Rivian seems to like to spend money (at least on advertising and PR).

Rivian isn't dead in the water on charging. As you can see, Electrify America does have chargers. Prices will be adjusted as time goes on. What I see happening is that the car majors (including Rivian) will eventually figure out they need to spend money on charging infrastructure, as well as subsidies for charging kWh rates. However this will take several years for them to realize this and put it into action.

As far as Rivian being silent, what, slow motion videos of a prototype truck doing donuts in the desert not doing it for you? I kid. As much as Rivian likes to spend money on high concept brand awareness, they are awful at meaningful communications.

Cougs

We have so may wind power along Columbia river basin and can be used to power thousands of stalls along the freeway I84. This area is known for frequent wind blown all year long. In fact it is a mecca for wind surfers on the Columbia River. Tesla has their own connections so if We use their chargers we have to have an adapter that fits theirs.

Attachments

Cougs

I agree with you Rivian has been silent regarding charging etc....and will realize that relying on Electrify America will not solve the problem. I will not be surprised by the fact that Rivian and others will say oops we need to put in chargers too.

Cactus

Let's hope Rivian has the autonomy to partner with anyone who will benefit the company.
I can't think of anything that would benefit Rivian more than a reliable charging network.

Cougs

Another article emphasizing the importance of Rivian having/needing good charging infrastructure:

For all the good things going for Rivian, the ride will not be flawlessly smooth. For one, Tesla has a head start and established infrastructure to support its customer base. This includes the Tesla Supercharger network.

While Rivian has stated that ordinary charging infrastructure will work, a fast-charging network like Tesla’s is needed to compel buyers to enter its showrooms.

5 Reasons Why Elon Musk Should Be Terrified of Rivian

Cactus

"While Rivian has stated the ordinary charging infrastructure will work..."

Unless Rivian intends to sell only a few thousand cars yearly, the ordinary charging infrastructure won't be adequate. This statement makes me think that Rivian "doesn't get it" with respect to charging.

Rivian- if you are listening/reading, can we know what you are thinking? Any plans?

thrill

"While Rivian has stated the ordinary charging infrastructure will work..."

Unless Rivian intends to sell only a few thousand cars yearly, the ordinary charging infrastructure won't be adequate. This statement makes me think that Rivian "doesn't get it" with respect to charging.

Rivian- if you are listening/reading, can we know what you are thinking? Any plans?
Do you believe the current charging network is not going to grow?

Cactus

Even with the resources of VW behind it, Electrify America will be unlikely to grow fast enough to meet the number and capability of electric vehicles that are projected to be on the road in 3-4 years. But that's the paradox: if the non-Tesla charging network sucks, people won't buy very many electric vehicles, so the network won't need to be very capable or reliable.
It's taken Tesla over 6 years to build out it's SC network, which is far more reliable and capable than the CCS network.