Autopilot and LIDAR

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
One interesting technology that we haven't heard much about from Rivian is their autopilot.

News stories suggest that Rivian will use a third party software stack (there are plenty of self driving start ups willing to OEM their systems), whereas when I talked to an engineer at the LA Auto Show, it sounded like they were developing their self driving software completely in house. This struck me as ambitious for a startup with many other things on their plate.

Regardless, the other oddity was that they are using LIDAR, and not just any LIDAR, but the small little ones on the front bumper that no other autonomous vehicle is using since the technology isn't quite mature enough yet (AFAIK). Maybe they think the small cheap LIDARs will be ready in two years.

At any rate, I'm in the Elon camp that thinks that LIDAR shouldn't be used. It'll be interesting to see how this part of the Rivian technology evolves over the next two years.

lookmtb

I'm interested to hear more about what they hope to accomplish with their autopilot. Are they planning on full level 5? Or are they shooting for something lower? I agree with you about LIDAR though. Can't wait to hear more!

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I'm interested to hear more about what they hope to accomplish with their autopilot. Are they planning on full level 5? Or are they shooting for something lower? I agree with you about LIDAR though. Can't wait to hear more!
They’ve said level 3.