Why I like the R1S

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
So, why is the R1S so cool?

First, it is an actual SUV built on a truck body. It is NOT a crossover. The rear door is big and square. You can fit tons of cargo in it (and it has a huge frunk). Even with three rows, it has decent space behind the third row.

It has awesome range. Telsa is kidding themselves when they say that a 100 kWh battery is enough. Not for a real SUV that is big enough to carry a big family and their stuff for four hours on some adventure! SUVs are meant to be driven far distances on occasion and often to remote places. You need a big battery for that.

It is easy to get into and out of. It will "kneel" down to you with its air suspension so you don't need running boards. Yet it is s full size SUV.

It is an EV meaning tons of front console space, single pedal driving, and awesome acceleration and torque (launching a boat into the water with this will be like butter compared to any gas powered machine).

Rob P

I am thinking about getting this to replace my Range Rover HSE. I have long been waiting for an EV that I can put a roof rack on for my ski box and surf boards and this seems to fit the bill perfectly. I might have considered a model X if they hadn't put gull wing doors on it. If correct I don't think you can get the 3rd row seats with the big 185kw battery which bums me out but I will wait a bit for more to come out before I put a deposit down. Fall 2020 seems a bit optimistic at this point. I fully expect it to be a year behind before it really gets out there. Which Charge port are they going to use ?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
They are going to use CCS for charging.

I hadn’t head that the biggest battery would take away the third row seats?

As far as timing goes, well Rivian isn’t Tesla meaning they might actually stay to a schedule. They do have a factory. At this point I’m optimistic they’ll deliver on time. I’ve put down a deposit. Why not?

theredviper

Being 2+ years out from delivery, does anybody think it's possible that they'll squeeze a larger battery pack into the 7 seat model?

Like Tesla, they may juggle battery pack sizes around a bit to start, and settle in on 2 pack sizes instead of 3. We are a small family, so I'd go for the larger battery today, but it's an unfortunate choice to have to make.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Being 2+ years out from delivery, does anybody think it's possible that they'll squeeze a larger battery pack into the 7 seat model?

Like Tesla, they may juggle battery pack sizes around a bit to start, and settle in on 2 pack sizes instead of 3. We are a small family, so I'd go for the larger battery today, but it's an unfortunate choice to have to make.
I doubt they will be able to fit the 180 kWh battery without taking away the third row. But the 135 kWh battery should be fine. Over 300 miles real range is fine.

theredviper

I doubt they will be able to fit the 180 kWh battery without taking away the third row. But the 135 kWh battery should be fine. Over 300 miles real range is fine.
Have they talked about running any accessories off of the R1S or R1T? They could be great camping vehicles if they can run a small fridge for a few days, etc. The more the better! (kWh that is).

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Have they talked about running any accessories off of the R1S or R1T? They could be great camping vehicles if they can run a small fridge for a few days, etc. The more the better! (kWh that is).
The R1T has three 120V plugs, each with 400W of power supposedly (seems odd that it isn't a shared 1200W, but whatever). That should operate a small fridge. But there is no mention of the R1S getting anything. Most high end SUVs these days have 120V plugs (although usually crippled at 150 or 200 Watts max.). Rivian may yet put them into the R1S. I get the impression that the R1S platform isn't quite as far along as the truck is.

CraigS

RJ Scaringe told me at the LA show that both the R1S and R1T would get three outlets, not just the truck. I also think I've read it somewhere, but don't have the reference right now.

theredviper

At 400W I wouldn't be able to plug in a vacuum, that would suck, I would hope this changes before production.