Why I like the R1S

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
So, why is the R1S so cool?

First, it is an actual SUV built on a truck body. It is NOT a crossover. The rear door is big and square. You can fit tons of cargo in it (and it has a huge frunk). Even with three rows, it has decent space behind the third row.

It has awesome range. Telsa is kidding themselves when they say that a 100 kWh battery is enough. Not for a real SUV that is big enough to carry a big family and their stuff for four hours on some adventure! SUVs are meant to be driven far distances on occasion and often to remote places. You need a big battery for that.

It is easy to get into and out of. It will "kneel" down to you with its air suspension so you don't need running boards. Yet it is s full size SUV.

It is an EV meaning tons of front console space, single pedal driving, and awesome acceleration and torque (launching a boat into the water with this will be like butter compared to any gas powered machine).

Rob P

I am thinking about getting this to replace my Range Rover HSE. I have long been waiting for an EV that I can put a roof rack on for my ski box and surf boards and this seems to fit the bill perfectly. I might have considered a model X if they hadn't put gull wing doors on it. If correct I don't think you can get the 3rd row seats with the big 185kw battery which bums me out but I will wait a bit for more to come out before I put a deposit down. Fall 2020 seems a bit optimistic at this point. I fully expect it to be a year behind before it really gets out there. Which Charge port are they going to use ?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
They are going to use CCS for charging.

I hadn’t head that the biggest battery would take away the third row seats?

As far as timing goes, well Rivian isn’t Tesla meaning they might actually stay to a schedule. They do have a factory. At this point I’m optimistic they’ll deliver on time. I’ve put down a deposit. Why not?

theredviper

Being 2+ years out from delivery, does anybody think it's possible that they'll squeeze a larger battery pack into the 7 seat model?

Like Tesla, they may juggle battery pack sizes around a bit to start, and settle in on 2 pack sizes instead of 3. We are a small family, so I'd go for the larger battery today, but it's an unfortunate choice to have to make.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Being 2+ years out from delivery, does anybody think it's possible that they'll squeeze a larger battery pack into the 7 seat model?

Like Tesla, they may juggle battery pack sizes around a bit to start, and settle in on 2 pack sizes instead of 3. We are a small family, so I'd go for the larger battery today, but it's an unfortunate choice to have to make.
I doubt they will be able to fit the 180 kWh battery without taking away the third row. But the 135 kWh battery should be fine. Over 300 miles real range is fine.

theredviper

I doubt they will be able to fit the 180 kWh battery without taking away the third row. But the 135 kWh battery should be fine. Over 300 miles real range is fine.
Have they talked about running any accessories off of the R1S or R1T? They could be great camping vehicles if they can run a small fridge for a few days, etc. The more the better! (kWh that is).

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Have they talked about running any accessories off of the R1S or R1T? They could be great camping vehicles if they can run a small fridge for a few days, etc. The more the better! (kWh that is).
The R1T has three 120V plugs, each with 400W of power supposedly (seems odd that it isn't a shared 1200W, but whatever). That should operate a small fridge. But there is no mention of the R1S getting anything. Most high end SUVs these days have 120V plugs (although usually crippled at 150 or 200 Watts max.). Rivian may yet put them into the R1S. I get the impression that the R1S platform isn't quite as far along as the truck is.

CraigS

RJ Scaringe told me at the LA show that both the R1S and R1T would get three outlets, not just the truck. I also think I've read it somewhere, but don't have the reference right now.

theredviper

At 400W I wouldn't be able to plug in a vacuum, that would suck, I would hope this changes before production.

EyeOnRivian

Cosmacelf- where did you get the R1S spec sheet?
Word of caution, that spec sheet is well over a year old and some things have changed. E.g. both models are slightly longer by a couple inches. When I was talking to the R1S team lead at the Normal, IL event last October he said he had to scrimp and scrap for every little bit space to make sure the R1S had a full size spare tire. When I asked if that's one of the reasons why the R1S was longer than originally announced, he laughed and confirmed with an emphatic yes.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Cosmacelf- where did you get the R1S spec sheet?
I do not remember, and as EyeOnRivian said, it’s probably out of date by now. Frankly, RIvian has been very parsimonious about real information on their vehicles. Hopefully we will get more solid info as production approaches.

ajdelange

It has awesome range. Telsa is kidding themselves when they say that a 100 kWh battery is enough. Not for a real SUV that is big enough to carry a big family and their stuff for four hours on some adventure!
Tesla doesn't make an SUV. That term is sometimes thrown out when the X is discussed but the X ain't no SUV. A SUV looks more like, well, an R1S. But the X uses about 0.3 kW hour per mile and will, thus, go about 300 miles on its full charge of 100 kW. The R1S is going to require more like 0.45 and will thus deliver 222 miles on a 100 kWhr battery and about 400 on a 180 kWh pack. 222 miles is plenty of range for many applications as many a Tesla owner can attest and Rivian is offering the car with a battery sized to support that. The place where Rivian takes a hit is that there is no charging infrastructure to compare to Tesla's. Practically speaking there are lots of non Tesla charging stations but they are all 50 kWh or less implying charging on the road of at best 111 miles per hour. The bigger battery is desirable in the Rivian as it is needed to get the vehichle from one of the high power charging stations (where rates can be such that 111 miles are added in 20 minutes) to the next.

azjohn

Tesla doesn't make an SUV. That term is sometimes thrown out when the X is discussed but the X ain't no SUV. A SUV looks more like, well, an R1S. But the X uses about 0.3 kW hour per mile and will, thus, go about 300 miles on its full charge of 100 kW. The R1S is going to require more like 0.45 and will thus deliver 222 miles on a 100 kWhr battery and about 400 on a 180 kWh pack. 222 miles is plenty of range for many applications as many a Tesla owner can attest and Rivian is offering the car with a battery sized to support that. The place where Rivian takes a hit is that there is no charging infrastructure to compare to Tesla's. Practically speaking there are lots of non Tesla charging stations but they are all 50 kWh or less implying charging on the road of at best 111 miles per hour. The bigger battery is desirable in the Rivian as it is needed to get the vehichle from one of the high power charging stations (where rates can be such that 111 miles are added in 20 minutes) to the next.
Agree that the Model X is not an SUV, but by definition "SUV" can be anything. I do consider Model X to be a sedan with a hatchback

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Agree that the Model X is not an SUV, but by definition "SUV" can be anything. I do consider Model X to be a sedan with a hatchback
It's a bit more than that. For the latest ski trip, we had four people with 2 ski bags with skis, 8 pieces of luggage and misc. bags. And we didn't even have to use the frunk. Good luck getting that into a sedan with hatchback. Also, I can comfortably carry five people, each with their own seat, and six people if two of them are smaller teenagers, and I still have a gap in the second row for baggage or ingress/egress from third row.

So it is a true SUV, just not in the same category as the big ones. I mean, I used to have a BMW X5, and people call that an SUV.

Having said all that, the Rivian R1S is a big SUV and will be in a class all its own for electric SUVs.

EyeOnRivian

From Wikipedia:

Sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a category of motor vehicles that combine elements of road-going passenger cars with features from off-road vehicles, such as raised ground clearance and four-wheel drive.

There is no commonly agreed definition of an SUV, and usage varies between countries. Some definitions claim that an SUV must be built on a light truck chassis; however, broader definitions consider any vehicle with off-road design features to be an SUV. A crossover SUV is defined as an SUV built with a unibody construction (as per passenger cars), however in many cases crossovers are simply referred to as SUVs. In some countries—such as the United States—SUVs have been classified as "light trucks", resulting in more lenient regulations compared to passenger cars.

Clear as mud. :unsure:

Cactus

But isn't the R1S an EAV? ;)
As Cosmacelf indicated, it will be in a class by itself.

Cactus

Has anyone been to a Rivian event? I am thinking about attending one in Las Vegas, but was less enthusiastic when the fine print says vehicles will be for viewing only. Does Rivian allow attendees to sit in the cars, open and close the doors, kick the tires, etc.?

My other question is, what version of R1S and R1T do they have at their events? I think I want the 180kWh, but if the larger battery takes up too much of the rear cargo space, I might decide to buy the 135kWh. I'm OK with no third row, but still want the cargo space. The best cargo space I've ever had in an SUV was a 2004 Honda Pilot. I could truly fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back.