Where should Rivian build charging stations?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Rivian said they would build charging stations at underserved recreation destinations. Let’s help them by listing our favorite places that are hard to get to with an EV.

I’ll start. Anza Borrego desert/Ocotillo Wells area.

Manolo

Why not use common ground with Tesla and build more sites to accommodate all electric vehicles?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Why not use common ground with Tesla and build more sites to accommodate all electric vehicles?
You mean kinda partner with Tesla, have Tesla build Superchargers in a location, but have Rivian build CCS stations there too?

Sounds like a job for an independent third party company to secure charging locations, and to also include Tesla. Maybe Chargepoint should do this?

Note that it is unlikely that Rivian will independently operate its own CCS charging network, but will instead likely partner with a company like Chargepoint to build and operate the chargers (and handle charging payments).

rhumbliner

You may have answered this in another forum, but how difficult would it be to build a Tesla to CCS adapter and then work out an agreement with Tesla to be able to use their supercharger network on a pay-as-you-go basis?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
You may have answered this in another forum, but how difficult would it be to build a Tesla to CCS adapter and then work out an agreement with Tesla to be able to use their supercharger network on a pay-as-you-go basis?
Well, it's certainly doable. Unfortunately, I think its too late now for Tesla to attract EVs to use their network. While CCS has gaps here and there, Tesla has overcrowding here and there. Tesla overcrowding is likely to get worse in the next two years while CCS coverage is likely to get better. It's a typical standards war, and as usual, no matter how good he early pioneers are (Chademo and Tesla), they are going to lose out to the rabble mob of fifteen EV models supporting CCS.

In Europe, Tesla has bowed to the political pressure and is adding the European version of the CCS plug onto all their Superchargers with the expectation that the European Model 3 will only support CCS.

Randy

In Europe, Tesla has bowed to the political pressure and is adding the European version of the CCS plug onto all their Superchargers with the expectation that the European Model 3 will only support CCS.
It is my understanding the CCS is required by law in the EU. Am I wrong about that? Quite a different story there than in the US and Japan/S. Korea. It sure does seem the standards war (VHS vs. BetaMax) will go on for a number of years.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
It is my understanding the CCS is required by law in the EU. Am I wrong about that? Quite a different story there than in the US and Japan/S. Korea. It sure does seem the standards war (VHS vs. BetaMax) will go on for a number of years.
Yes, that’s my understanding too. I didn’t quite phrase it correctly.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I just had a lengthy conversation with someone who has built and operated privately operated DC charging stations here in California.

The bottom line is that because of demand charges (a 160 kW charger will cost a fortune in demand charges every month), it is very hard to recoup operational expenses for such a high speed charging station, let alone recoup all the capital costs. And if you are placing these stations in rural areas that get less use, then it is impossible to recoup expenses.

I am just hoping that Rivian realizes this and allocates enough money to spend on construction and operation of their remote charging stations. Tesla has shown that you can build and operate a charging network, but then, they don't spend any money on advertising...

CraigS

I just had a lengthy conversation with someone who has built and operated privately operated DC charging stations here in California.

The bottom line is that because of demand charges (a 160 kW charger will cost a fortune in demand charges every month), it is very hard to recoup operational expenses for such a high speed charging station, let alone recoup all the capital costs. And if you are placing these stations in rural areas that get less use, then it is impossible to recoup expenses.

I am just hoping that Rivian realizes this and allocates enough money to spend on construction and operation of their remote charging stations. Tesla has shown that you can build and operate a charging network, but then, they don't spend any money on advertising...
I think Tesla is using batteries at their chargers, at least in some instances. This dramatically reduces demand charges.

CraigS

These are mine, listed in order of importance to me.
Moab, Utah - but I saw that Rivian has mentioned Moab.
Escalante, Utah
Jacob Lake, Arizona (rather than the North Rim of Grand Canyon)
Torrey, Utah
Kanab, Utah
Grand Junction, Colorado
Ouray, Colorado
Jackson, Wyoming
Stanley, Idaho

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, well, they managed to post a really old Tesla Supercharging site map. Here's what it looks like currently:

supercharge.info

The link you posted is to a brand new Rivian "discussion forum" that looks like they are trying to jump on the bandwagon and make some money. Giving away cheap "Rivian" keychains to new forum members does not inspire confidence. Neither does clickbait articles with 2 year old maps.

At any rate, please use this thread to post areas you know of personally that would mesh with Rivian's adventure demographic that is under served by the CCS network.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Rivian said they would build charging stations at underserved recreation destinations. Let’s help them by listing our favorite places that are hard to get to with an EV.

I’ll start. Anza Borrego desert/Ocotillo Wells area.
BTW, the last time I drove in Ocotillo Wells, I passed by a couple of RV campgrounds that had minor convenience facilities (like restrooms and a snack bar/restaurant). One of these would be an ideal location for a CCS fastcharger. The campground would probably donate the land for free just to acquire more people to use their restaurant. And the campgrounds are already served by some sort of electrical infrastructure.

For those that don't know, Ocotillo Wells is fairly famous for people to drive off road ATVs, dirt bikes, and Rzrs (dune buggies with massive suspensions). There are rental companies that rent these vehicles, and a lot of people trailer in their "toys" for the day or a few. It's a lot of fun for a different kind of family outing. I'll just put a link to the folks that I rented our dune buggies from: Ocotillo Wells ATV Rentals - Borrego Springs ATV Rental - Glamis ATV Rentals

Aaron

You mean kinda partner with Tesla, have Tesla build Superchargers in a location, but have Rivian build CCS stations there too?

Sounds like a job for an independent third party company to secure charging locations, and to also include Tesla. Maybe Chargepoint should do this?

Note that it is unlikely that Rivian will independently operate its own CCS charging network, but will instead likely partner with a company like Chargepoint to build and operate the chargers (and handle charging payments).

I was told that the Tesla network is available for all manufacturers who want to use it.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I was told that the Tesla network is available for all manufacturers who want to use it.
It is available to all manufacturers who want to help pay for it. Tesla won't give access to their network for free. Rivian would seem to be a good fit for such a possible partnership, but so far they are sticking with the public CCS network. From where I stand, it isn't clear what the right strategic move is for Rivian right now, but if I were them, I would at least negotiate with Tesla to compare the two approaches.

Aaron

It is available to all manufacturers who want to help pay for it. Tesla won't give access to their network for free. Rivian would seem to be a good fit for such a possible partnership, but so far they are sticking with the public CCS network. From where I stand, it isn't clear what the right strategic move is for Rivian right now, but if I were them, I would at least negotiate with Tesla to compare the two approaches.

Cougs

SCHWEITZER SKI MOUNTAIN, SANDPOINT IDAHO
FISH LAKE MONTANA