The To Do list for Rivian

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
As we watch Rivian gear up for manufacturing, here's a list of things they have to finalize:

Open service centers. Tesla actually had a bunch of service centers already open around the country when the Model S was launched since they had had the Roadster. Rivian will have to start building service centers NOW, or soon, if they hope to sell a couple of 20,000/yr cars.

Source battery cells. They haven't revealed any of their suppliers yet, but the biggest one by far is battery cells.

Raise more money. Their last financing was a $200M commercial bank loan, no doubt secured by their ex-Mitsubishi factory. They will need more to open service centers and make cars.

What other big things can you guys think of?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Charging plan?
Rivian will use the CCS fast charging network provided by third parties like Chargepoint, Evgo, and Electrify America. But yes, they have stated that they will build charging stations of their own to provide access to the back country. It would be interesting to see what that looks like.

BTW, looks like they are going to use cells from LG Chem.

Rob Stark

It seems over 50% of US BEVs are purchased in 5 Metro Areas.

Los Angeles
San Jose-San Francisco
San Diego
Seattle
New York City.

It seems like a no-brainer to get started there with service centers and showrooms.

After you start generating revenue from the first ~6 months then expand to the second tier EV markets.

Chicago,Houston,Dallas,Atlanta, Washington D.C.,Miami, Orlando.

Then a year later the third tier. Similar to what Tesla did *. Nationwide coverage right off the back seems like a big capital dump.

I suppose it is possible Rivian buyer demographic is significantly different than average BEV profile but I wouldn't bet on it.

* Tesla looked at where people buy $100k+ sports cars and got started there first. I forgot the exact list but something like 10 Metro Areas represented 90% of addressable market.