Street rumor that Amazon, GM to invest in Rivian

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I find odd in this rumor is the purported valuation at $1B to $2B. Seems kinda low.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Some quotes from the named parties. What’s interesting is that no one is denying the rumor.

Amazon declined comment. Rivian and GM issued statements praising one another without denying the reports: “We admire Rivian’s contribution to a future of zero emissions and an all-electric future," GM said in a statement. And a Rivian spokesperson said: "We respect GM's vision of the future of mobility but have no immediate comment on this story."

Rob Stark

What do you think is a fair valuation?

In the middle of the Roadster run in 2010 when Tesla IPOd market cap was $1.6B.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member

I don’t know, it just seems that today’s valuations are ridiculous everywhere. It is true that Rivian is years away from revenue. In truth, I’d have to look at comparables of other pre-revenue companies, check their revenue projections out five years, and so on to make an informed comment about their valuation.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member

Actually let me put it this way, would I invest a fairly large allocation of my money in Rivian with a $2B valuation subject to some due diligence? Heck yes.

azjohn

One speculative take I read was that GM wanted an exclusive partnership and Rivian wants to keep its options open. That’s a sign of confidence that bodes well for those of us with preorders
Yeah....GM wants a committed relationship while Rivian wants be a HO and have an open marriage

Cougs

RJ is too smart to let GM outfox him. ha ha ha Rivian as a company worked very hard to get to this point and they are in the driving seat.