Rivian patents “removable auxiliary battery” for its R1T electric pickup truck

gombater

Give me an option to mount to the front of a trailer with a pigtail connector to the truck like a standard light hookup and you have a very interesting option. Mounting to truck takes a lot of the bed space and weight capacity away. Also you need a forktruck or other method to install, which means its a pain to take on and off or you leave it there and the weight/extra power ratio does not give the added value. By mounting in a trailer, you keep all the space, and can can hook up a lot quicker and only when you need it.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Give me an option to mount to the front of a trailer with a pigtail connector to the truck like a standard light hookup and you have a very interesting option. Mounting to truck takes a lot of the bed space and weight capacity away. Also you need a forktruck or other method to install, which means its a pain to take on and off or you leave it there and the weight/extra power ratio does not give the added value. By mounting in a trailer, you keep all the space, and can can hook up a lot quicker and only when you need it.
Exactly. When I saw this patent, I thought: how is someone going to lift and place a 100+ pound battery into the bed?

Sometimes companies patent things that they never actually implement. I wonder if this is one of those things.