R1T as a job site truck

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
While Rivian is positioned as an adventure/toy hauler truck, it could also be useful for high end contractors of one sort or another for use on job sites. One thing that would be massively useful would be 20A electrical outlets on the truck. There is more than enough power available in the battery to supplant a gas powered generator that might otherwise be needed. However the specs on the three included 120V plugs say they only supply 400W each. While this is useful for off roading and camping uses, it won't run typical power tools which require 20A plugs. Basically, you need 2,000 watts per outlet for power tools.

Now, 2,000 watt inverters are bulkier and more expensive, and only certain people need them, but having shared 4,000 watts (you'd have to run tests to see what you'd really need) as a $1,000 or whatever option sure would be nice. If Rivian doesn't offer it as an option, contractors wouldn't have a choice but to buy a gas powered generator since you won't be able to hook a third party 2,000 watt inverter into the Rivian - they are all 12V DC powered and an EV's 12V system isn't robust since it doesn't have to do as much as the 12V system on an ICE vehicle.

To be sure, the majority of construction contractors don't need a generator - most job sites have permanent power or temporary power since everyone needs their power tools. But there are a bunch of use cases:

• Small contractors that work on remodels. One of the annoyances contractors run into all the time is trying to find an actual 20A receptacle. 15A receptacles are prone to tripping when power tools are used. Then the contractor must waste a bunch of time finding the homeowner/breaker box, resetting, then tripping again, etc. Annoying for everyone.

• Large animal vets that use portable X-Ray or ultrasound machines. They will nuisance trip on 15A breakers, and often their patients aren't near an electrical outlet anyways.

• Oddly enough, concrete contractors at any new building site. They are often the first sub contractor to appear and often enough get there before temporary power is installed, so they usually carry around a generator to power their skill saws and grinders (building wooden forms and cutting rebar).

• Mobile car detailers.
Anyways, you get the idea. While 400W is nice, there are many use cases for more power and it would be nice to have as an option.

Rob P

The problem I see is that if it had a 6 foot bed it would you would be able to 100 percent right it off through the company which is a large reason so many full size trucks are sold in the US. I own a landscape company and if I could right it off I would likely buy the truck over the SUV. The completely changed the tax code so perhaps there is new language?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
And people wonder why companies hire lobbyists to rewrite legislation. Sheesh. So the tax code incentivized people to buy bigger trucks than they need. Sigh.