Online Rivian Ad on YouTube

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
This morning my son tells me he saw an online ad for Rivian pop up while he was watching YouTube. Considering that you can't buy a Rivian for 2 years, and that the EV market gorilla, Tesla, has famously never bought advertising, I thought it was interesting.

Why would Rivian spend money now just to catch some pre-orders?

Thinking back to when Tesla started selling their Model S in 2012, Tesla had a healthy waiting list, but for various reasons, when it came time to actually buy the vehicle, a lot of people deferred. It got so bad by January and February 2013 that they were in danger of going bankrupt. I myself had gotten onto the waiting list December 1st 2012, and was a bit surprised when I was able to configure it in January, and receive it by end of February.

My point is that it is easy to get caught up in the EV bubble and just assume that Rivian will have a cake walk into 20,000 solid orders in 2020 when they start to build. The reality is that essentially no one knows about Rivian yet. And for all of Elon's faults, that guy always knew how to get press. And finally, the EV space is actually getting crowded (Hottest New Electric Cars, SUVs & Trucks Coming In 2019-2020).

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Another week, another marketing expense. This time, they signed on Alex Honnold, unquestionably the best free solo climber in the world, and probably one of the best mountain climbers period. Bit by bit, they are getting the word out to more and more adventure and outdoor groups. Coming up, no doubt, will be world class skiers, snowboarders, surfers, etc.

lookmtb

Just saw their Instagram Posts showing it off. It really shows what segment of the market they're trying to capture. I think when people see guys like that convert to electric it really helps dispose of the myth that EV's aren't good enough for anything but the most stringent of routines. Good for them.