New news thread

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Rather than creating one thread per interesting news item, I’m going to use this thread for any new news going forward. That way people can subscribe to one thread and get email notifications of news. Others, please contribute if you see anything truly new.

The interesting bit of news today is that Rivian is hosting a private viewing party in New York April 12 for reservation holders. Here’s the invite.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight Tesla is announcing their V3 of their supercharger. Along with up to 250 kW charging, they have updated their vehicle software so that the car preconditions the battery before arriving at the Supercharger. Very similar to what RIvian is promising.

Cougs

I got the invitation, I hope that they make it to Seattle!!

azjohn

Tonight Tesla is announcing their V3 of their supercharger. Along with up to 250 kW charging, they have updated their vehicle software so that the car preconditions the battery before arriving at the Supercharger. Very similar to what RIvian is promising.
IMO the biggest thing that is going to come out of the V3 Supercharger is the power dedication to each charger, it will no longer be shared. I did see a graph showing the power curve of charge rate of a Model 3 using V3. It is a very step increase until 30% SOC than it tapers off and a lot of the rest of charge to 80% is in the 170-150 KW range

RC1

Is it true that they will not be retro fitting current chargers for V3 only making new sites V3?

azjohn

Is it true that they will not be retro fitting current chargers for V3 only making new sites V3?
Yes, but they will be sending out a software upgrade where a V2 charging station will get an increase to a max of 145 kws

RC1

That’s great! Glad to hear that the places that exist will benefit too.

Manolo

Rather than creating one thread per interesting news item, I’m going to use this thread for any new news going forward. That way people can subscribe to one thread and get email notifications of news. Others, please contribute if you see anything truly new.

The interesting bit of news today is that Rivian is hosting a private viewing party in New York April 12 for reservation holders. Here’s the invite.

View attachment 42View attachment 42
Any future plans for a show in FL near Sarasota or Tampa area?

Cougs

RIVIAN R1T is making the news with a lot of known web based media specialized on primarily on EV vehicles. EVBITE.COM published an article that I just discovered discussing upcoming EV trucks.

5 UPCOMING ELECTRIC TRUCKS:

5 Upcoming Electric Trucks

Cougs

I second that. Rivian is the closest company to roll out a truck.

GJM

Any News from New York Show today?????
Was a great show, first rate event, enthusiastic and helpful staff, vehicles looked more impressive in person.

I posted these on another thread but here they are again:

Attachments

Cougs

I was watching a Youtube segment of Rivian in Aspen, Colorado. I overheard the following question: what about warranty???
Rivian personnel answers: 4 years bumper to bumper warranty and the batteries are much more (no specific warranty). Anyone knows about this and other similar news??? What kind of options will be available?? what is a base option for the three battery types and what are added options????

Last edited:

Cougs

NEWS FROM NEW YORK SHOW:

ENGINEERS WERE ASKED THE FOLLOWING: The engineer is going to take those questions to their next meeting.

1. If I purchase the 135 KWH R1S and in the future (more than 10 years or warranty expires) when my battery pack is no longer efficient (less than 70% efficiency) can I upgrade to the higher pack say 180 KWH.

2. I am carrying some grocery bags, walk towards the frunk and stood by it, can the frunk open for me without using my key or going inside the vehicle?? Can the frunk understands that I need to store these grocery bags and open automatically or step-wise like prepare to open and then once I stand by it it would open up.

3. They found out that Rivian is still tweaking few things which is not a big deal but we may see few changes from the inside pics. Theses changes are minor and would not affect anything.

4. No news on the service but I am not keen on servicing my Truck with dealers that are holding up the progress of EV vehicles because it undermines their bottom line.

5. EV start ups need to unite and get their own service points ( like current dealerships have Ford, Subaru, and Toyota under one dealership) in each state because by the end of the day it will be cost effective. You can a service point for Tesla, Rivian, and other start ups under one service point.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
This piece

on the Ford investment also references a paywalled Bloomberg article strongly implying that earlier talks with GM fell apart because GM insisted on exclusive access to Rivian's technology.
Well, good for Rivian for sticking to their plan to offer their drivetrain to whoever wants to use it. That's more or less what Tesla did in the early days. They made drivetrains for the Toyota Rav 4 EV, and a couple of Mercedes cars. Tesla ended up graduating away from needing to do that when they had their Model S in full production and realized they had a hit on their hands. But whereas Tesla got by with a $50M strategic investment from Mercedes, these rounds for Rivian are much larger - $500M from Ford and $700M from Amazon is serious money. Unless Scaringe does a total belly flop, our reservations for Rivian vehicles look pretty solid.

Cougs

Unfortunately Rivian keeps delaying ship dates. Now it is possibly December 2020.