Launch News

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

RubberToe

RubberToe reporting... :cool:

As one of the first 5 members to join, I assume that I'm automatically entered into a drawing for one of the Founders series R1S? ;)

Anyone going to the auto show please provide first hand reports. One year ago I went to the L.A. Auto show to see my first Model 3 in person. Now I'm driving that exact same red car.

Funny how someone putting down the $1,000 Rivian deposit is also looking at a minimum two year wait just like we did for the Model 3.

RT

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll get right on working on that drawing :)

I’ll be at the auto show Monday and will report. Hopefully I’ll be able to talk to more than a random sales critter but who knows. While I love Elon dearly, his antics have been getting a bit much lately, and if anything he’s getting worse. Scaringe seems to be a different animal, and I’m looking forward to his apparent brand of quiet competence.

Btw, thanks for joining the forum! Hopefully it and Rivian grow together.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting - the last link I posted above, More Deep Background... - shows that Scaringe wasn't initially going to build an electric vehicle. The article is kinda unclear or contradictory, but the evolution went from small sports car to gas powered truck to hybrid and now to fully electric.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting - the last link I posted above, More Deep Background... - shows that Scaringe wasn't initially going to build an electric vehicle. The article is kinda unclear or contradictory, but the evolution went from small sports car to gas powered truck to hybrid and now to fully electric.
According to someone at the Rivian booth today, it was around 2012 that Rivian pivoted from making a 2+2 sports car to an electric truck. They did a bunch of market research to guide them in that direction...

Rob Stark

Originally, Rivian was going to make an ultra lightweight 2+2 with cutting edge materials.

Buy a standard ultra efficient ICE from a legacy OEM. Like the 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo from Ford. The star of the show would have been the glider not the powertrain. Very quick very high MPG with great handling. LIke a reimagining of the original Lotus.

I think Model S caused the pivot.