Electrochromatic roof

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
I didn’t realize or had forgotten that Rivian will be using an electrochromatic window for the SUV roof window. So you can dim it or make it clear for nighttime. That is so awesome and something Tesla really needed to do with their Model X.

This is mentioned at about 10 minutes into this video.

Randy

That's a nice interview. Unfortunately I am now worried that I'll be priced out of the R1T. I'm an all or nothing sort of person - so I want the beautiful (and comfy looking) interior, I want the available bits of level 3 auto-drive, etc. Near the end of the video Mark Vinnels uses the term "fully loaded" and so implies some level of price increase to get it all. I would expect the 180kW battery to go to the $80k mark (per previous discussions it looks likely to be more than that). If they pile on the options for $5-$6k that seems reasonable. I'm hoping the "fully loaded" R1T does NOT go into the $125k range. That seems like a price point only you millionaires can justify.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
The 180kWh version will go for considerably more than $80k I would think. And they aren’t going to sell the smallest battery right away. It’ll be like the Tesla Model 3 ... we are still waiting for the promised $35k base model car.

Randy

I guess that's my question (and many others I presume)...how much "considerably more" that $80k. I've capped myself @ 100K for a fully loaded 180kWh version of the R1T. We'll have to see if that will happen.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Did you get more details about it? How dark and how light can it go? Does it have user selectable darkness?

zach90z

This is what I found out today from a friend.

"The roof is actuated through the center screen display. I don't think you can play with darkness it's either fully opaque or transparent, just like a regular moon roof"

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
That is one of my (many) gripes about the Tesla Model X. The huge windshield that wraps over and behind your head is great at night, but lets in way too much sun (for my liking) during the day, even with its progressive tint (isn’t dark enough towards the front). I had to “fix” it by tinting just the roof portion with a darker tint which makes it very hard to see anything through it at night.

I am LOVING that Rivian will do it correctly.

Last edited:

zach90z

Yes it is definitely a very neat feature and I love the idea! I'm worried about how rugged it is though.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it is definitely a very neat feature and I love the idea! I'm worried about how rugged it is though.
Well, I've been told that the 787 airplanes have electrochromatic windows, and they darken to a dark sunglasses look. If it's good enough for airplanes, then it should be good enough for cars!

Laurent

According to this video (skip to 9:22), there will be 3 roof options: solid roof, electrochromatic glass, and removable roof.

Samwhitney

The smart glass option is durable and functional from clear to dark. Proven for over 8 years in Daimler roofs (S class, SL and SLK) without a single issue.