Charging specs?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone seen any charging specs for these cars yet? Either high power DC charging or AC charging capabilities?

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like they have an on board 11 kW AC charger and a 160 kW capable CCS inlet.

lookmtb

That's gonna take a hot minute to charge that thing up from 0 on AC! It would be cool to use all of a 100 amp circuit like on the old teslas but I know that isn't totally necessary.

theredviper

That's gonna take a hot minute to charge that thing up from 0 on AC! It would be cool to use all of a 100 amp circuit like on the old teslas but I know that isn't totally necessary.
Do new Teslas with 100kWh packs still use that? I've noticed less and less 11kWh deployments for even brand new L2 charging. They are still stuck at 7.2kWh.

Charging at above 11kWh would be nice, but if it's going to be limited to charging at home, it's less important due to the time spent there overnight, etc. And capacity issues for the average home electric service.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Do new Teslas with 100kWh packs still use that? I've noticed less and less 11kWh deployments for even brand new L2 charging. They are still stuck at 7.2kWh.

Charging at above 11kWh would be nice, but if it's going to be limited to charging at home, it's less important due to the time spent there overnight, etc. And capacity issues for the average home electric service.
I believe higher end new Tesla come with max. 72 amp chargers, or about 17 kW. Before fast charging networks were built, you did have some 20kW Tesla chargers being installed along freeways (in Canada in particular), but that was 4 years ago, and they’ve been supplanted in usefulness by DC fast charging. Now, almost the only use case for higher speed AC charging is a road warrior salesman or real estate agent who drives all day and needs a faster charge at dinner time before going out at night.

I myself have used my 17kW charger during the day a few times when I forgot to plug in the night before, or after a long day of driving and needing a bit more for the evening. So it has come in handy. Occasionally.

It would be a nice to have for Rivian to have a higher power AC charger. But not critical.

theredviper

Digging around on Tesla's site, it seems like 11.5kW is the max for all models now:

Wall Connector

So I guess they felt the higher rates weren't worth the hassle of different charging systems in different models. Says a lot about the reality of what you need. Elon has stated somewhere that he doesn't see much use for anything beyond 100kWh in a battery, but I can see 120-150 being realistic for larger SUVs and trucks. Rivian seems to agree. You might want more than 11.5kW at that point.

I saw an article from a charging manufacturer with a small form factor 25kW DC charger. That would be pretty nice at malls, restaurants, and other areas where you stop for 1-2 hours. 7.2kW at those places is fine for free. I'd be willing to pay a small fee to get a good charger at 25kW though.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, good find. Yeah, I also looked at the Tesla ordering pages, and there is nothing about the 72A charger anymore. That’s what I have in my X, but apparently it isn’t available anymore. I guess the next rev of the WC will have thinner cables to support the max. 11.5kW charge rate.

You know, with the proliferation of urban DC fast chargers, even the rare use case of needing a one hour boost at 72A before heading out in the evening is kinda gone too. You might get an extra 20 miles of charge in an hour with a 72 amp charger versus a 48 amp charger. But you’d be able to replenish that 20 miles of range in 4 minutes at a DC fast charging station,

Ironically, I absolutely made use of my 72 amp charger a few weeks ago while visiting a private race track in the desert. Over two hours drive each way, so I needed a top up to get back (my 90 kWh X battery is undersized considering how much of a pig it is at slurping electrons). As it happens they had just installed a full 80A Tesla Wall Connector, so I was able to get lots of charge for the ride back while I was visiting. My plan B was to hit up the Indio supercharger, but that would have entailed a detour and probably added 40 minutes to the trip including the extra driving. So, nice to have, but not a necessity.