- Jan 30, 2019
It's been about 3 months now since I put my deposit down on the R1T - no communications at all other than the photo-ops on facebook and linkdin. A few reports come out here and there, but not a lot of detail yet. While I recognize I need to be patient and the Rivian crew is probably pretty busy right now, it would help to trickle out a few more details especially for the folks to already put their deposit down. If anyone from Rivian is reading, a got a few ideas for you:
- you promised some swag when we all put down our deposit - not a huge deal, but it does demonstrate your commitment to your first customers. Making a commitment and meeting it means something.
- a few practical details every so often would go a lot farther than cameo pictures in Aspen. Help me confirm putting down a deposit was a good idea.
- This is a truck.... even if it's for weekend warriors [like me] show it doing something 'truck-like'. Ultimately, I would like to see the R1T with a receiver hitch pulling a loaded trailer on the road [hey go with the outdoors theme, put a Polaris razor on the back going to your favorite adventure park... maybe a fishing boat? kayaks?] something to demonstrate it can pull as advertised. As an F150 owner who pulls occasionally, show me the R1T can replace that need.
- Even better, partner with or design yourself a single [3K lb] or dual [7K lb] axle trailer with built in auxiliary battery packs [add a few of the 'jerry cans' previously discussed - make them mountable in the trailer or the truck] and a way to get that power back to the truck while on the road/at the camp site [or even camp site power supply...]. Something like a jumping jack tent trailer but with aux battery packs [Tent Trailers | Jumping Jack Trailers]. For the camping/fishing/hunting crowd going to remote locations, this would be awesome, truly innovative, and something worthy to wait for.
- maybe a monthly or quarterly communication to all who put down a deposit giving us a few practical insights on status? Not asking for anything proprietary but something real that gives us an idea of what is to come.
- Longer term - maybe customer tours of the manufacturing location for those who are close [like me - pilot testers, anyone?]