A few thoughts while we wait

gombater

It's been about 3 months now since I put my deposit down on the R1T - no communications at all other than the photo-ops on facebook and linkdin. A few reports come out here and there, but not a lot of detail yet. While I recognize I need to be patient and the Rivian crew is probably pretty busy right now, it would help to trickle out a few more details especially for the folks to already put their deposit down. If anyone from Rivian is reading, a got a few ideas for you:

• you promised some swag when we all put down our deposit - not a huge deal, but it does demonstrate your commitment to your first customers. Making a commitment and meeting it means something.
  • a few practical details every so often would go a lot farther than cameo pictures in Aspen. Help me confirm putting down a deposit was a good idea.
  • This is a truck.... even if it's for weekend warriors [like me] show it doing something 'truck-like'. Ultimately, I would like to see the R1T with a receiver hitch pulling a loaded trailer on the road [hey go with the outdoors theme, put a Polaris razor on the back going to your favorite adventure park... maybe a fishing boat? kayaks?] something to demonstrate it can pull as advertised. As an F150 owner who pulls occasionally, show me the R1T can replace that need.
  • Even better, partner with or design yourself a single [3K lb] or dual [7K lb] axle trailer with built in auxiliary battery packs [add a few of the 'jerry cans' previously discussed - make them mountable in the trailer or the truck] and a way to get that power back to the truck while on the road/at the camp site [or even camp site power supply...]. Something like a jumping jack tent trailer but with aux battery packs [Tent Trailers | Jumping Jack Trailers]. For the camping/fishing/hunting crowd going to remote locations, this would be awesome, truly innovative, and something worthy to wait for.
  • maybe a monthly or quarterly communication to all who put down a deposit giving us a few practical insights on status? Not asking for anything proprietary but something real that gives us an idea of what is to come.
  • Longer term - maybe customer tours of the manufacturing location for those who are close [like me - pilot testers, anyone?]
Well this all my thoughts for now - great forum for info on Rivian - thanks to all who post what articles they find.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
It would be nice to get quarterly updates from Rivian. So, get some kind of status letter towards end of March or early April.

Randy

It certainly does feel like the culture is one focused on "Marketing" rather than "Customer Development". Is that right, wrong? I don't know, but I have the same desire for more practical information.

Cosmacelf

Administrator
Staff member
It certainly does feel like the culture is one focused on "Marketing" rather than "Customer Development". Is that right, wrong? I don't know, but I have the same desire for more practical information.
We will have to wait and see. I think it is too early to tell. If you were lucky enough to attend the LA Auto show, it was populated by engineers so you were able to get lots of technical questions answered, to the limit of their abilities 2 years out. No doubt, the vehicles are still being tweaked given their cold weather testing. Also I know some things are still up in the air like the exact capabilities of the 120V plugs, the air compressor, and the self driving. Their design engineers are no doubt still very busy right now, even as they build out their factory.

They are spending some paid marketing dollars, but perhaps not as much as it seems. Tesla spends and spent a ton of money on their reveal parties. Rivian right now is probably working on getting their social media footprint larger. Right now, they don’t have that many followers. However, they are getting a decent amount of free PR. I don’t think a day goes by that they don’t have a new article written about them somewhere. I generally don’t link to these unless they contain new information, but even if they are a rehash of old info, it increases their consumer awareness.

Cougs

I would love to see a quarterly updates from Rivian telling us concrete progress. We are the pioneers and support their positive progress.